Notable Quotable

"Think occasionally of the suffering to which you spare yourself the sight"
~Albert Schweitzer~

Monday, December 10, 2007

The Meaning of Christmas....

What is the meaning of Christmas? When did the tradition of gift-giving begin? Why do we need a specific time to give presents to those we love? Christmas is always a tricky time of year for me, and I am sure many others as well. This year especially, I think, as the cost of living continues to increase, consumers continue to spend, and wages remain relatively the same. Last week I listened to a wonderful broadcast on NPR about our economy and future predictions. The guest was adamant that saving, not spending, is the direction to take if we hope to improve our shaky economy. Saving! With Christmas almost upon us, how can we save!? There are presents to buy for 30-something family members, extended family, friends....save what!

In my expanding search for personal sustainability and community support, I have turned toward my surrounding communities this Christmas to provide me with what I need. Hoping to begin the tradition of a local Christmas with my own family, my goal is to purchase gifts from local vendors, as well as the fixin's for Christmas dinner (the Oneota Co-op has a great selection of local meat, cheese, and vegetables to make this possible). My goal is also to create as many of my own gifts as possible, in the hopes that my home-made wares make my dollar go a little further. Home-made bread, fudge, toffee, knitted hats, quilted throws...and more. This approach, I am finding, requires much more thought than merely purchasing goods at the store. Actually crafting something for someone else takes time and effort, and while this goal may keep me up into the wee hours of the morning, I can't wait to see the smiles on my loved ones faces!

There are great charities to support, local wares and vendors to purchase from, and of course, your own imagination to tap into. Be creative this Christmas in using your the resources that make your area unique and I think you will be amazed at not only your own ingenuity, but also how simple it is to make someone smile.

Enjoy the Holidays!



**Remember to recognize the Winter Solstice, December 21st!!

No comments: