Notable Quotable

"Think occasionally of the suffering to which you spare yourself the sight"
~Albert Schweitzer~

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Wonderful Winter Herb

I wait in anticipation all winter for spring, and the emergence of some of my favorite wild culinaries--I pace fields, distractedly drive down the road, and can be found on streambanks and in fields that I have no business being in. And what for? Ahh....the power of herbs is not to be underestimated, for they have me totally enchanted.

Yarrow, or as it is known scientfically, Achillea millefolium, is one such native herb. I fell under this plants healing spell during my sophomore year in college, when a woman I was working with suggested that I try yarrow tea in an effort to alleviate my cold symptoms. Always one to try something new, I strolled the meadow behind campus and picked the newest, freshest stems and florets I could find, drying what I wouldn't use immediately, and making a hardy brew with the rest. WOWZA! Once you taste yarrow, you will never forget it, and forever more associate the smell of the plant with memories of its healing properties.

So, after adding more honey that I am willing to tell you, I drank several cups of this tea for a couple days, and within two days, my head had drained and I had perspired enough to release the toxins that were making my body so ill. I felt wonderful, renewed, and empowered. I hadn't used over-the-counter medicines (which, if you've ever tried to give a cat or dog pills....well, that's kinda how I feel about them too), hadn't gone to the doctor, I had used the resources available to cure what ailed me and the encouragement of one very wise woman.

Description: Leaves are alternate, fern-like, and wooly, very aromatic. Plants usually stand 1-4 feet tall, producing white flowering heads made up of many small florets. Member of the Asteraceae family.

Parts to use: Strongest parts are the top branches, leaves and flowers

Recommended dosage: 1-3 cups of tea daily*

Harvest: Mid-late summer while in full flower

Uses: Astringent, increase bile production, relaxation, sleep aid, anti-inflammatory, diarrhea, wounds/cuts, burns, break fevers, induce perspiration, eliminate cold symptoms, muscle aches, gastrointestinal health, improve circulation**

Folklore: Yarrow was given it's scientific name for the Greek hero, Achilles, who was reported to have used this native plant to heal wounds. Millefolium, translated from Latin, means 'thousand leaves', and if you have ever observed this plant, it's quite fitting.

There are some very important things to know about yarrow before one begins self-medicating, cautions, we'll call them:

1. DO NOT take more than the recommended dosage.

2. This remedy is NOT for prolonged use as it causes your skin to become very sensitive to the sun.

3. DO NOT take yarrow in any form if you are pregnant.


I would love to hear about your adventures with native plants, natural remedies, or stories of your adventures and discoveries in nature!



*Healing Plants: A Medicinal Guide by Ana Nez Heatherly. New York: Lyons Press. 1998 (this book can be purchase at Ion Exchange)

**These are compiled uses from a variety of sources and not tested or approved by the FDA. Use at your own discression.

No comments: