Notable Quotable

"Think occasionally of the suffering to which you spare yourself the sight"
~Albert Schweitzer~

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Plight of the Doughnut

Ecuador:  The Ayme family of Tingo
Food expenditure for one week:  $31.55


Yesterday, my friend Scott sent an e-mail regarding the weekly eating habits of people around the country. Amazed by the differences in diets and the way the cost for groceries decreases the more fresh fruits and vegetables and grains one is eating, I forwarded the e-mail on. I try very hard to maintain a vegetarian diet, or at least as veggy as I can be. Living in North East Iowa, going out to eat can be difficult if one does not allow some wiggle room, and dating a very carnivorous person (who is, mind you, quite adventurous when it comes to eating) I have made exceptions to a strict diet I used to follow. I will give you an example. Yesterday was an incredibly foggy morning, and as I set out for work, my car rendered itself unable to tackle the layers of ice on the driveway. Getting a ride from a very generous friend, we made our way to town, already late for work, he turned to me and asked if I wanted a doughnut for breakfast. Well, I thought. It has been a long time since I've had a doughnut. Sure! Expecting a little round cake one, he came back with two huge 'nuts stuffed to the gills with cream frosting. I am sure they weighed a pound each, at least! Ok, so to make a long story short, later in the day--lunch time to be exact--I busted out the other half of that breakfast beast. You should have seen the look on Verna and Diane's faces! Oh, it was priceless! Ms. Healthnut downing a sugar-filled delicacy. Wish I had a camera!


After seeing these pictures, and learning what other people are living on for a week, I am determined to be more conscious about my diet and the amount that I spend on food. I hope these pictures encourage you to think about your diet a little also--not only what's on your plate, but where it comes from.

3 comments:

NatureGirl said...

Love your blog...I want to live in a yurt as well. Visit mine at www.idnaturegirl.blogspot.com

Jenn Spokes said...

Very Interesting

Green Jenn said...

Love it!