Notable Quotable

"Think occasionally of the suffering to which you spare yourself the sight"
~Albert Schweitzer~

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Part of the Cycle

Babies!!! Spring is one of my favorite times of the year, simply because it brings with it the birth of new generations, both in the animal and plant world. This year, however, I didn't have to wait for spring--the miracle of birth has come early (for life and death move in their own time, giving no consideration for weather or readiness).

I remember the first birth I witnessed. It was magical, awe-inspiring, and, well, kinda gross. I began my initiation into 'real life'--for I feel I was very naive (and still am, to be quite honest with you) about the workings of life and death. I did not have the farm life as a child and was very removed from these processes. This isn't to mean we didn't have pets, for Skippy (our very first dog) was an amazing huntress and often came back with a bounty of little critters--the thing with Skippy was that she didn't 'do them in' before she brought them home. Thus, the numerous baby bunnies that ended up on our doorstep were safely returned to their homes (mentally scarred for life, physically ok). It was not until I subjected myself to the whims of mother nature and decided farming was a facet my soul needed to experience that I encountered the beauty of life, and death.

This birth, this entrance into the world, was on one of the coldest nights in February. Mama goats are notorious for kidding on the coldest, snowiest, wettest, most inhospitiable weather. It's like a sweet revenge for the pain and time spent birthing. I think we can learn a lot from our animal companions, and here is why. Watching the Girls kid that season, I noticed they did not shy away from or try to evade the process of birth, for it was inevitable. When the kids started coming, their eyes glazed, ready for the pain, the process, the relief. Their entire being was stoic. It's an amazing process to witness and be part of. Of course, there is the other side to consider also. The grief of losing a kid (for they have a memory and feelings too), of dying in birth. This too I witnessed. And cried. And came to a greater understanding that to be part of the cycle of life, we all must live and die, no matter the length of time we are allowed, no matter how young or old. And came to realize that I was no longer removed from life.

About a month ago, the Saturday before Christmas, to be exact, 7 (or 8 depending on who you talk to--we have a bit of a puppy discrepency) beautiful little puppies were delivered. They have grown steadily, every day it seems they are bigger, more curious, and even happier than the day before. They come running out of their house to give kisses and say a brief hello, for it is too cold out for something so little, and run back in to cuddle with each other. These pups have inspired me to do some further exploration in natural dog care, which I will share as it comes, and hope that you stay tuned in to watch the clan grow! The cycle has just begun, and while I continually remind myself we must take the good with the bad, I am also reminded to make the most of what I've got and enjoy every minute.

Gabi

1 comment:

green jenn said...

I want to get a puppy for my family... I would love for my kids to be able to see a puppy grow to a dog, than have its own puppies, the circle of life!